There’s no need for fancy techniques and gourmet ingredients while we’re camping, but it’s nice to have a few ideas handy for whipping up something tasty and a great view to enjoy with the final dish.
1. Barbecued fish – fresh from the surf
Whether you’re on the beach chasing whiting in Walpole, herring in Horrocks or bream in Broome, there’s few better feelings than landing that dream catch and making your way back to camp while the sun sets over sea.
Once you’ve got dinner ‘in the bag’, keep things simple by wrapping it whole in alfoil and adding lemon slices, butter, salt and pepper.
Drop it on a hot barbecue for three to five minutes on each side. Easy.
Serve it up with: Mashed potato and greens
Where to stay: RAC Exmouth Cape Holiday Park
Cooking damper on a campfire is your classic must-do activity while camping, but there’s some skill involved in getting it right.
Packing a trusty camp oven is one way to guarantee your damper will be crunchy-on-the-outside and fluffy-on-the-inside.
If you don’t have a camp oven, try popping this into the campfire coals, for flame to plate authenticity and taste. Damper can be enjoyed as a sweet snack or savoury side.
Just make sure you always follow the necessary campfire safety steps, understand local regulations and never ignore total fire bans.
The how to:
- Combine 250g self-raising flour and a good pinch of salt.
- Add 25g cubed butter, rubbing it with your fingers to form a crumbly texture.
- Add 175ml of milk and work the mix with your hands until it becomes a dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead it into an evenly rounded dough with flat base.
- Brush the top with milk or egg yolk if you’re feeling fancy so it bakes golden.
- Wrap the dough in alfoil and bury it in the coals of the fire, for about 30 minutes or until you can slice though it with a knife easily.
Serve it up with: Honey, jam and plenty of butter
3. Easy pancakes on the go
A hot breakfast when your camping is simply satisfying, and this healthy, hearty and tasty twist on pancakes ticks all boxes.
This recipe serves two people, so adjust as needed if there are more mouths to feed.
The how to:
- Mix one finely sliced banana, ½ cup of rolled oats (or instant oats), a pinch of salt, one egg white and ½ teaspoon cinnamon for flavour .
- The consistency should be a chunky pancake mix – add another egg yolk if it’s not runny enough.
- Pop it onto your barbecue hot plate and fry till brown on both sides.
Serve it up with: Your favourite toppings – we recommend berries, honey and yoghurt.
Best place to enjoy a hot serving of pancakes: Esperance
Where to stay: RAC Esperance Holiday Park
4. Quick and simple meat and veggie stew
A simmering stew is always a welcome smell in a camp ground.
It doesn’t take much to make a great stew – it’s as easy as chopping everything up, tossing it in to the camp oven or saucepan and letting it simmer away until you’re ready to enjoy.
The how to:
- Start with some minced meat, diced stewing beef or bacon bones.
- Add a chopped potato, carrot, sweet potato, celery and an onion.
- Throw in two cans of diced tomatoes and a bag of spinach leaves.
- Add salt, pepper, stock cubes and some red wine for flavour, then let it stew away until vegetables are soft and the meat is falling-apart .
Serve it up with: Damper and mashed potato.
Best place to enjoy a warming stew: Anywhere in WA
Gearing up for getting on the road
Kleenheat customers can earn one Flybuys point for every dollar spent on natural gas – perfect for redeeming on new camping and outdoor gear for your next road trip.
Existing customer? Simply head to My Account and link your Flybuys membership number to start collecting points.
Kwik-Gas, your buddy on the road
Cooking on the fire is good fun, but can be tricky. Using gas makes it easier to regulate temperature and keep an eye on things.
Watch our video to quickly learn more about the new gas connection valve and how this affects your outdoor gas appliances in the future.
Organise your Kwik-Gas before you go and make sure to read up on our Kwik-Gas safety tips and suggestions.