Difficulty level: Easy
Kleenheat sizzle: no chillies, unless you want to add some
- 500g stalks and stems from cauliflower, broccoli and kale (set aside the kale leaves), roughly chopped
- 500g old bread, torn and air dried
- 1L vegetable stock
- 200ml good quality olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, micro-planed
- 1 bunch thyme
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 celery sticks, diced
- ½ bunch of the kale leaves set aside earlier, roughly chopped
- 330g tin cannellini beans, drained
- 330g tin chunky crushed tomatoes
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp black cracked pepper
- Parmigiano reggiano
Tip: Parmigiano reggiano is like the champagne of hard granular cheeses. It’s made with precise ingredients, using a precise process in quite a small part of Italy.
Tip: Air dried bread is simply bread that’s been “dried” on a very low setting in the oven for a couple of hours.
Melissa Palinkas’ food waste-fighting tips
Freeze leftover prawn shells, roast chicken carcasses and fish frames to use when it’s time to make stock. They’ll keep in the freezer for months, which means you’ll always have delicious homemade stock at hand.
Coffee grounds can be added to potted herbs for a boost of nutrients.
For more dinner table inspiration, have a look at the rest of our Kleenheat Kitchen recipes!