Head Chef and co-owner of East Fremantle’s Young George, Melissa Palinkas, shares her recipe for pork jowl and plums: the perfect pair. It might be an unusual combo, but it’s harmony on the plate.
Prep time: 25 mins, including pre-cooking and cooling time
Cook time: Around 10 mins
Ingredients and preparation
- 1 smoked pork jowl
- 2 plums
- 50gms hazelnuts toasted, shelled and crushed
- 1 tsp Chinese five spice
- 60ml honey
- Baby mustard leaves
- Heat frypan on low to medium heat and line with grease proof paper. This will stop it from sticking.
- Brush the pork jowl with honey and dust the pork jowl with five spice.
- Pan fry the pork until golden and caramelised on each side, then put aside and let rest.
- Slice the plums and toss with the mustard leaves and a little vinaigrette.
- Slice the jowl and place on a plate. Put the plums and mustard leaf salad on the top of the jowl then a pinch of five spice.
- Drizzle honey over and scatter the hazelnuts over the top..
Spoon a generous portion of rice onto the plate, place a skewer on top and drizzle over any leftover glaze to serve.
Young George and Melissa Palinkas
You can also enjoy a taste of homegrown goodness from Melissa Palinkas’ restaurant, Young George in North Fremantle. Check out this homegrown restaurant and keep supporting local businesses.