These mini doughnuts are the way to go if you’re looking for a sweet treat to indulge in. While the doughnuts are moreish, the real star of the show is the salted caramel sauce.
Warning: Once you start, you may not stop.
Serving: 24 mini doughnuts
Difficulty level: Easy peasy!
Kleenheat sizzle: All sweet, no spice
- ¼ cup margarine
- ½ cup full cream milk
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil, plus extra for frying
- 2 cups plain flour
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
Salted caramel dipping sauce:
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 6 tbsp salted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 tsp salt
- Melt margarine over low heat. Gently stir in milk and oil till combined well.
- Take off heat and set aside.
- Mix flour, half the sugar, baking powder and salt together.
- Create a well in flour mixture and gradually add margarine mixture. Combine until thick dough forms.
- Using your hands, take bits of the dough and roll into 24 mini round doughnuts.
- Heat oil in pan. Test with a little bit of dough mixture. If dough floats to the top, then mixture is about ready.
- Gently add doughnuts to oil, frying till golden brown. Approximately 5 minutes. Set aside on paper towel to soak up the access oil.
- Melt the sugar over medium heat till it turns a nice dark amber colour. Stir continuously and be careful not to let it burn.
- Once sugar has melted, add butter and stir till completely melted.
- Slowly add the heavy cream and allow mixture to boil for a minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in salt. Allow it to cool before drizzling over doughnuts.