Follow the steps below to safely connect your Kwik-Gas bottle to your BBQ, camping, or outdoor gas appliance.
To connect your gas bottle:
- Turn all appliance controls to the off position.
- Make sure your gas bottle is upright and the valve is turned off.
- Remove both tags marked ‘Pull’ on the valve’s blue safety plug and unscrew the safety plug in a clockwise direction using a flathead screwdriver or coin. Keep the plug for storing or transporting the gas bottle.
- Check that the appliance connector’s soft rubber seal is in place and undamaged. Never use an appliance connector that is cracked or weathered.
- Insert the appliance connector into the gas bottle’s valve and screw it in an anti-clockwise direction. This should be firmly tightened by hand.
- Turn the gas bottle valve on.
- Test for gas leaks by applying a soapy water solution all over the gas bottle valve and appliance connector.
- If a gas leak is present, bubbles will appear. Re-tighten the appliance connector and test with soapy water again until there are no gas leaks present. If leaks persist, do not use the appliance.
- Turn the gas bottle valve off when the appliance is not in use.
Please remember gas bottles should always be transported or carried in the upright position, even when empty.
New gas valve introduced
In 2021, a new, safer, gas bottle valve connection was introduced in Australia.
Learn more about this new valve connection, and how it affects your gas appliances here.