In 2021, a new gas bottle valve connection was introduced across Australia for all gas bottles ranging between 4kg* and 9kg* including Kleenheat’s Kwik-Gas bottles.
The new valve design improves gas appliance safety and makes it easier to use and connect gas bottles to outdoor appliances, including BBQs and outdoor heaters.
Why have the gas bottle valves changed?
The main feature of the new valve referred to as LCC27 is that it restricts gas flow until it is correctly connected to a gas appliance. The new connection also stops the flow of gas in the event of a fire.
The new design features a back-check valve to prevent gas from leaking from the gas bottle if the valve is accidentally opened without being connected to an appliance, or if it has not been correctly connected to an appliance.
The new valve connection (LCC27), will replace the existing POL valve connection.
This valve change affects 4kg* and 9kg* gas bottles, such as Kwik-Gas, and new gas appliances, which will be designed with the new gas valve connection.
- Gas bottles with the new valve (LCC27) have been distributed since April 2021.
- Gas appliances with the new connection have been in distribution since October 2021.
- A gas bottle with the previous valve type (POL) cannot be connected to an outdoor gas appliance with the new connection (LCC27).
- To avoid issues connecting your gas bottle to your gas appliance, ensure you match the gas bottle with your appliance when swapping your empty bottle for a full bottle.
- New appliances, that connect to the LCC27 valve, are fitted with a right-hand external thread connection.
Do I need to buy new gas appliances?
No, you don’t need to buy any new appliances. All existing gas bottle appliances with left-hand thread (POL) connections can still be used.
It’s important to note that the existing valve and existing appliance connection remain a safe and reliable combination.
How does the new valve affect connecting appliances to a gas bottle?
The new valve design allows you to connect your appliance by turning the appliance hose connector in a clockwise direction. This will allow you to connect your existing appliance and new appliances to the new gas bottle valve.
If you are purchasing a Kwik-Gas bottle, the bottles with the older POL valve will have a blue valve plug and a blue Kleenheat valve protector sticker, while bottles with the new LCC27 valve will have a white valve plug, with a white Kleenheat valve protector sticker.
If you are purchasing a gas bottle that is not Kwik-Gas, you should take note of the valve type. Existing bottles will have a gas valve plug, while bottles with the new valve may or may not include a gas valve plug given the new design of the valve.
* Our 4kg Kwik-Gas bottles are filled with 3.7kg of LPG, and our larger 9kg Kwik-Gas bottles are filled with 8.5kg of LPG.