Our State on a Plate focuses on quality WA produce and how it is sourced, cooked and served in local eateries around WA. In partnership with Our State on a Plate, we hit the road to meet some of our business customers and primary producers to learn more about our homegrown goodness and how best to enjoy it.
West Aussie Brendan Pang burst back onto our screens last year in MasterChef 2020 where he reaffirmed his position as the so-called ‘dumpling king’ with his honest and delicious cooking style.
Spicy Beef Dumplings with Brendan Pang
Pang now focuses on championing WA’s fresh local produce at his Freo-based kitchen, Bumplings where he churns out a regular roster of dumplings as well as traditional family recipes.
Here Brendan turns up the heat and shares his recipe for Pan-Fried Spicy Beef Dumplings.
Serving: Makes 35 dumplings
- 30 round dumpling wrappers (gow gee)
- Vegetable oil, to cook
- Additional coriander, to serve (optional) Additional chilli oil, to serve (optional)
- For Beef Filling:
- 450g minced beef (fatty)
- 50g celery, finely chopped
- 3 stalks spring onion, finely chopped 2 tbsp coriander, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp light soy sauce
- 3 tbsp Chinese chilli oil
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp Shaoxing cooking wine
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 dash ground white pepper
- To make the filling, place all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix vigorously in one direction until the mixture binds. Cover and leave to rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Working with one dumpling wrapper at a time, place 1 heaped teaspoon of the filling in the centre of a wrapper.
- Brush half of the perimeter of the edge with water. Fold the wet edge over to meet the dry edge to form a semi-circle. Pinch along the edge to seal and enclose the filling.
- To cook the dumplings, heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a non-stick pan over medium-high heat.
- Add dumplings to your pan with the flat side down. Press down firmly to flatten the base and cook until the base is sizzling and golden.
- Add enough water to just cover the base of each dumpling and cover with a lid. Cook for 5 – 7 minutes.
- Remove lid and continue to cook until the base of the pan is dry, and the underside of the dumplings are crisp again.
- If required, add additional oil to help crisp them up. Serve immediately with additional chilli oil if you desire and some fresh coriander.
Keen to try dumplings at Bumplings?
Visit the Bumplings website for more information on opening hours, menus and special events.
For more dinner kitchen inspiration and tips and tricks on using gas, check out our Kleenheat Kitchen recipes.
Value that flows through your household and community
Everyone enjoys value for money. We focus on providing value for our customers and our local community. Our ongoing value is passed on to you through our partnerships with RAC, Flybuys and Seniors Card WA. Plus, access a variety of offers and rewards that come with sponsoring the local events you love.
Plus, our Community Grants program supports local groups and organisations doing great things in communities across the Northern Territory and regional Western Australia.
Choose homegrown, choose Kleenheat
Kleenheat knows the value of homegrown goodness – after all, we’ve been supporting the needs of local households and businesses for more than 60 years.
We believe there’s value in choosing local, so if you’re not a Kleenheat customer choose local today and let life flow.
Looking for big-value energy? Let’s talk business.
Kleenheat delivers safe and reliable natural gas, LPG and electricity to thousands of WA businesses across WA and the Northern Territory, tailoring energy solutions to suit specific needs and budgets. Find out how our business can work with your business.