What is souvlaki? Souvlaki is traditionally a Greek fast food consisting of small pieces of meat and sometimes vegetables grilled on a skewer. You might also know it as simply ‘skewers’ or shish kebab, depending on the flavours in the dish or where you are when purchasing the dish. This recipe is a great summer recipe as it involves fresh calamari with simple but delicious flavours and is best enjoyed piping hot, straight from the barbie! Ideal for an outdoor BBQ or quick weeknight meal.
Difficulty level: Easy
Kleenheat sizzle: A twist on a classic
600g calamari tubes, cut into 4cm pieces
3 large tomatoes, cut into large pieces
2 red capsicums, deseed, cut into medium sized pieces
1 tbsp dill, finely chopped
2 tbsp flat-leaf parsley leave, finely chopped
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried chilli flakes (optional)
60ml extra virgin olive oil
Lemon wedges, to serve
1. To prepare the calamari, ensure it’s at room temperature and patted dry with paper towel.
2. Cut calamari tubes along one side and open out flat. Score the shiny side with a diamond pattern – this allows the flavours to sink into the meat.
3. Thread calamari, tomato and capsicum pieces onto the skewers.
4. Mix dill, parsley, oregano and chilli flakes in a bowl with some oil
5. Brush mixture over skewers.
6. Preheat a barbecue or grill pan to medium-high heat.
7. Grill the skewers, turning for 3-4 minutes until calamari is cooked and slightly charred.
8. To serve, season with salt and pepper with some of the leftover herb marinade and a side of lemon.
To tenderise the meat and remove some of the chewiness, soak the squid in either lemon juice or kiwi fruit juice for half an hour before cooking. The acidity helps to break down the texture. Alternatively, tenderise by soaking the squid in milk overnight, covered and refrigerated.
For more dinner table inspiration, have a look at the rest of our Kleenheat Kitchen recipes!