For thousands of households across Western Australia and the Northern Territory, natural gas and LPG are perfect for keeping loungerooms toasty, meals cooked and baths hot.
But like most energy sources, natural gas and LPG can be dangerous is leaks occur or the products aren’t handled responsibly. These products are flammable and odourless – so a distinctive smell is added to help detect leaks and keep you safe.
If you pick up a funky smell in or around your home and think it could be a gas leak – there are some important steps you should follows:
Residential natural gas
Natural gas is a safe and reliable energy source, but can be dangerous if leaks occur. In the unlikely event of a natural gas leak, it’s worth knowing where your home’s natural gas meter box is located and how to turn off your supply if needed.
To help detect leaks, natural gas has an unpleasant “rotten egg” smell added.
If you suspect a natural gas leak at your property:
- turn off the gas at your property’s meter box,
- remove any ignition sources such as pilot lights, electrical equipment/switches or matches,
- try to identify where the smell is strongest (inside or outside your property), and move away from the area and call ATCO Gas on 13 13 52 (available 24 hours a day, seven days a week) or use ATCO’s online reporting tool to report a gas leak.
Suspect a gas outage?
If natural gas to your property has been disrupted, ATCO ‘s Gas Outage Map also highlights current disruptions or major network maintenance that may impact customers.
If you suspect an LPG cylinder leak at your property:
- turn off the gas at the cylinder,
- remove any ignition sources such as pilot lights, electrical equipment/switches, matches and mobile or cordless phones,
- try to identify where the smell is strongest (inside or outside your property), and
move away from the area and call our LPG emergency line on 1800 093 336.