The cyclone season in northern Australia begins on 1 November and extends until the end of April.
Pre-season planning and preparation can help avoid dangerous situations and excessive damage to property, if a cyclone does eventuate.
If you live in the Northern Territory, or northern Western Australia, prepare for the upcoming season by following these simple procedures, especially if you use LPG.
Check out our Help Centre for tips on general safety around handling your gas cylinders at home as well as in emergency situations such as cyclones, fires, and strong winds.
Cyclone season preparation
- Remove any debris which may become a missile during high wind conditions
- Ensure your cylinders are in the upright position and firmly secured and restrained
- Ensure the cylinder valves are turned “off”
- Close all manual valve outlets on bulk tanks
If a cyclone approaches follow these pre-cyclone checks
Do not place cylinders indoors or underneath buildings. Cylinders are best left in an open and free venting environment.
- Turn off all supply valves and appliances in the home
- Don’t forget to do the same for your BBQ, caravan, workshop cylinders and bulk vessels
- Autogas sites should shut down the LPG system at the control station
- For LPG storage depots, use restraining straps to bind cylinders together.
- Cylinders should be removed from loading ramps and positioned at ground level
- If installed, leave cylinders where they are and restraint them
General safety advice and procedures for LPG
Here are some other handy tips and links to learn more about handling LPG safely at home and on the road.
- Appliance safety
- Bulk LPG safety
- Cylinder safety
- Electrical safety
- Dial before you dig
- Emergencies, leaks and faults
- Gas leaks
- Safety data sheets (SDS)
- Kwik-Gas safety manual
Keeping an eye on the weather
The Bureau of Meteorology (BOM) is incredibly helpful and offers up to date information on tropical cyclones in the Northern Territory, as well as in Western Australia. According to BOM, the tropical cyclone seasonal outlook for this season, will be available in October.
Being prepared now can make a big difference if accidents occur or in the chance natural disasters strike.
Value that flows through your household and community
Everyone enjoys value for money. We focus on providing value for our customers and our local community.
Our ongoing value is passed on to you through our partnerships with RAC, Flybuys and Seniors Card WA. Plus access a variety of offers and rewards that come with sponsoring the local events and teams you love.
Choose homegrown, choose Kleenheat
Kleenheat knows the value of homegrown goodness – after all, we’ve been supporting the needs of local households and businesses for more than 60 years.
We believe there’s value in choosing local, so if you’re not a Kleenheat customer choose local today and let life flow.