This Potato pakora recipe is perfect for an Indian inspired and vegetarian brunch: don’t forget to dip the spicy potato pakora fritters in a creamy yogurt sauce!
Difficulty level: Easy
Kleenheat sizzle: A touch of spice
500g potatoes, peeled, cut into 1cm cubes
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 spring onions, finely chopped
½ bunch coriander, chopped
1 tbsp mint, chopped
½ cup frozen peas
½ cup chickpea flour
½ tsp baking powder
2 tsp ground turmeric
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tbs lemon juice
1 cup plain Greek yoghurt
Oil, for deep frying
1. In a saucepan, boil water with a pinch of salt
2. Add 1 tsp of turmeric and then add potatoes, cook until tender, and then drain potatoes.
3. Mash potatoes together then add peas, garlic, coriander, onion and lemon juice.
4. Mix through flour, cumin, baking powder, 1 tsp of turmeric, salt and pepper in a bowl.
5. Add to potato mixture and combine well
6. Heat oil in deep saucepan or wok for deep frying over medium flame.
7. Take a tablespoon of batter and slowly lower into hot oil, in batches and cook for 3-4 mins or until golden. Remove and drain on paper towel.
8. Mix yoghurt and mint together in a small bowl and serve with pakoras
(Tip: Whisk the batter in one direction, either clockwise or anti-clockwise to aerate the batter. Aerating the batter will makes the pakoras fluffy as well as extra crispy.)
For more dinner table inspiration, have a look at the rest of our Kleenheat Kitchen recipes!