They may look intimidating but homemade gnocchi is well worth the effort and the actual process is pretty easy. Impress your nearest and dearest with this pan-fried gnocchi recipe that we’ve paired with locally harvested, gourmet mushrooms for flavour and texture.
Preparation and cook time: 60-90 mins | Serves: 4-6 people
- 1kg Sebago potatoes* washed, peeled and cut into quarters
- 2 eggs beaten
- 200g plain flour
- A selection of gourmet mushrooms or any mixed mushroom variety, sliced
- 2 tbsps. of butter
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- Juice of half a lemon, with zest
- Salt and pepper
Note: Choose a floury or all-purpose potato variety such as Desiree, Yukon Gold or Crème Royale for example.
- Place potatoes in a saucepan with enough water to cover and bring to the boil on high heat with the lid partially on.
- Cook until tender (test with a skewer).
- Once cooked, drain potatoes well and mash until smooth (using a potato ricer works best), and allow to cool.
- Sift in flour a little at a time
- Add eggs and two teaspoons of salt.
- Use your hands to combine mixture with floured hands. Be careful not to overwork the gnocchi, or it’ll become too dense.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth.
- Cut the dough into smaller amounts and then shape each one into logs, cutting into 2- 3 cm pieces
- Place the gnocchi on a flour-dusted tray, cover with a tea towel and set aside.
- Cook in a pot of boiling salted water and cook gnocchi in batches. When they rise to the surface, it’s cooked! Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside in a tray.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of butter in a large pan over medium-high heat until melted. Transfer cooked gnocchi into the pan to form a single layer. Season with salt and pepper.
- Toss gnocchi for about 2 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer to plates.
- Using the same pan, on small to medium heat, add butter, garlic and lemon juice with zest and sauté.
- Add mushrooms and cook until crispy. Pour over gnocchi with a squeeze of lemon and serve.
The Mushroom Guys
We used locally harvested West Australian and freshly picked gourmet mushrooms from The Mushroom Guys. The varieties used were Pink Oysters, Chestnut, Phoenix Oyster, Swordbelt and King Oyster.
Value that flows through your household and community
Everyone enjoys value for money. We focus on providing value for our customers and our local community.
Our ongoing value is passed on to you through our partnerships with RAC, flybuys and Seniors Card WA. Plus access a variety of offers and rewards that come with sponsoring the local events and teams you love.
Choose homegrown, choose Kleenheat
Kleenheat knows the value of homegrown goodness – after all, we’ve been supporting the needs of local households and businesses for more than 60 years.
We believe there’s value in choosing local, so if you’re not a Kleenheat customer choose local today and let life flow.