Do you enjoy singing your heart out in the shower? It’s one of life’s little pleasures, but how about when you turn on the tap to receive freezing cold water? Those sweet, dulcet tones may not be so tuneful. That’s the beauty of having a gas hot water system. It provides a continuous flow of hot water, whenever you need it.
There are many reasons why you should consider a gas hot water system for your home.
Benefits of a gas hot water system
Gas hot water systems produce up to 33% less greenhouse gas emissions than electric water heaters, which is good for our environment and our future. They are also generally cheaper to buy than solar or electric hot water systems, which is great for your pocket!
There are two types of gas hot water system, instantaneous and gas storage hot water units. Here’s the difference between the two:
1. Instantaneous gas hot water system
Instantaneous gas hot water systems deliver continuous hot water to you when you turn on the tap.
- They are sometimes called tankless units because they only heat the water as it passes through the system. For this reason, there is no need for a storage tank, which means you never run out of hot water.
- These systems are the size of a small suitcase, making them a fraction of the size of a storage tank heater. That’s why a lot of people choose these gas systems – they take up less space, they look better and they deliver hot water any time.
- They can last up to 20 years, whereas a traditional storage tank water heater only has a life span of around 10 to 12 years. There’s also less replacement and maintenance requirements.
2. Gas storage hot water systems
Gas storage hot water systems heat and store water in an insulated tank ready for when you need it.
- These systems are energy efficient, particularly if you choose one of the new 4 or 5-star models.
- They produce low greenhouse gas emissions, which is good for the environment.
- Gas heaters are speedy; they can heat a 170 litre tank in about one hour. Its recovery rate, being the time it takes to reheat a tank of water, is much faster than an electric water heater. So it’s great for a family of four to have a shower without the water going cold.
If your old hot water system is on its last legs, there’s no need to pack your bags and check in to your nearest hotel – you can usually get a new gas hot water system installed within a day.
A handy tip though when you’re buying a gas hot water system – is to check the energy star label to see how energy efficient it is. The higher the rating the better, meaning the less gas they use and the more money you save. It also means fewer greenhouse gas emissions.
No matter where you live, you have the option of an environmentally friendly, cost-efficient gas hot water system. The choice is simple, choose gas and you can belt out those power ballads whenever you choose.