2 tsp vegetable oil
2 eschalots, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 bunch coriander, stalks finely chopped, leaves picked
1 lemongrass stick, bruised, quartered lengthways
4 kaffir lime leaves
1 long red chilli, thinly sliced
1cm-piece ginger, finely grated
400ml coconut milk
1½ tbs fish sauce
1.5kg mussels, cleaned, debearded
1 lime, juiced
Coriander leaves, thinly sliced red chilli and lime wedges, to serve
- Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium-low heat.
- Add eschalot, garlic, coriander stalks, lemongrass, lime leaves, chilli and ginger.
- Cook, stirring, for 4 minutes or until lightly golden and fragrant.
- Add coconut milk and fish sauce and bring to the boil.
- Add mussels. Cook, covered, shaking pan occasionally, for 5 minutes or until mussels open. Add lime juice.
- Garnish mussels with coriander and chilli. Serve with lime wedges to the side.
(Image credit: Aaron Rebeiro @ www.reynardandvixen.com)