Our State on a Plate focuses on quality WA produce and how it is sourced, cooked and served in local eateries around WA. In partnership with Our State on a Plate, we hit the road to meet some of our business customers and primary producers to learn more about our homegrown goodness and how best to enjoy it.
“Love your locals” fresh and seasonal produce
Tucked away in North Fremantle, is the popular restaurant Bib and Tucker where the focus is on showcasing the best produce WA has to offer.
With breathtaking views of the Indian Ocean, Bib and Tucker is guided by a ‘love your locals’ ethos which is why they serve up the freshest and best seasonal produce sourced from Perth-based suppliers.
Watch along as Scott prepares his delicious prawns in XO butter dish and try it at home following the recipe below.
Executive Chef Scott Bridger’s Prawns with XO Butter, Finger Limes and Salt Bush.
Gas tip! Cooking with gas is especially convenient for this recipe as you need constant and steady heat to sweat the shallots, garlic, chilli and ginger for the XO butter. If you don’t use gas in your kitchen, you can prepare it on your barbecue. Just make sure you’ve got the Kwik-Gas read to go.
Cooking and preparation time: 30 mins
- 4 x king prawns
- 2 x finger limes
- salt bush
Tip! When serving, drizzle the XO butter onto the prawns to your preferred taste. This ingredient mixture creates a larger serving of XO butter than is required for this dish. Keep the excess in an air-tight jar in your fridge for two to three weeks and serve it with other seafood, especially shellfish.
- 250ml vegetable oil
- 24 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 12 shallots peeled and finely chopped
- 2 large knobs ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 6 red chillies, finely chopped
- 50g prosciutto ends, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp Korean chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 100g bacon, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp dried shrimp, rehydrated in hot water
- 10 tbsp. honey
- Juice of 3 limes
- 6 tbsp soy
- 200g butter
- Sweat the shallots in the vegetable oil till translucent.
- Add the garlic, chilli, ginger and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Once very fragrant, add the bacon, prosciutto and crumble the shrimp paste in and cook for another 5 mins on low heat.
- Once everything is soft, add the smoked paprika, Korean chilli flakes and the diced butter.
- Bring up to temperature and let the butter infuse the flavours for one hour in a warm place. You won’t need to use all the butter, you can keep in the fridge to use later.
- Slit the prawns down the middle and allow to defrost (if using frozen).
- Fry the salt bush in oil till crisp and set aside.
- Take the flesh out of the finger lime by pressing down on the outside of the lime and squeezing the flesh out.
- Add a little oil and salt to the prawns and sear on a hot pan on both sides to seal all the juices in for approximately 30 seconds.
- Pour some of the XO butter all over the prawns, add a good amount of finger lime flesh on top of each prawn and garnish with the salt bush.
Year-round seaside dining experience at Bib and Tucker
Visit the Bib and Tucker website for more information on opening hours, menus and special events.
For more dinner kitchen inspiration and tips and tricks on using gas, check out our Kleenheat Kitchen recipes.
As the local name in gas, Kleenheat continues to support the energy needs of local homes and businesses across WA and the Northern Territory. Learn a little more about our local people and the local businesses we work with.
Value that flows through your household and community
Everyone enjoys value for money. We focus on providing value for our customers and our local community.
Our ongoing value is passed on to you through our partnerships with RAC, Flybuys and Seniors Card WA. Plus access a variety of offers and rewards that come with sponsoring the local events and teams you love.
Choose homegrown, choose Kleenheat
Kleenheat knows the value of homegrown goodness – after all, we’ve been supporting the needs of local households and businesses for more than 60 years.
We believe there’s value in choosing local, so if you’re not a Kleenheat customer choose local today and let life flow.